Re: Markers and Mona HELP!!!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:22:26 -0700

Christine Merriam wrote:

> Sandra mentioned permanent markers.... something I dare not use. I find
> students holding markers up to their nose because they know the fumes from
> permanent markers make them high (and cause irreparable brain damage). A
> teacher moved out and gave me a box of markers, and I had to separate the
> water based from permanent and trash the permanent markers after I found a kid
> with glazed eyes holding a permanent marker..... =(
> What do the rest of you do?

Chris,

We've had the same problem here for years (sniffing gasoline, markers,
Liquid Paper); the sniffable office supplies are kept in the office safe.
I use Crayola markers--which don't smell near as good as the new crayons
:D but won't make you high, and are washable--because in HS the big
problem is grafitti; the huffers have usually graduated to other
controlled substances. If necessary, I will allow a student to check out
a permanent marker when permanence is important. Haven't had a problem
with theft or getting high; if they "can't find" the marker or "lent" it
to someone, I let them know they must return it before class is over, or
stay behind to "look for it."

Maggie