Re: Egypt

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Cheryl Lane (lane_c)
Sun, 09 Aug 1998 19:57:42 -0400

neal rosenblum wrote:

> Hey Arts Ed-Netters:
>
> Does anyone have any activites for a unit on egypt for Primary Grades?
>
> Thanks a lot and good luck getting your room all ready for the new year.
>
> neal Rosenblum
> Boulder Co
> 1st grade

Ive made ankhs with third graders, we watercolored a piece of paper
using watercolor wash for the whole thing. ( you want it light because
we are gonna write on it later) When the paper dried, I had them trace
ankh stencils that I made out of tagboard. they cut out the top and hole
only and score the sides so that they bend back and the ankh will stand.
Mean well we look a heiroglyphics and I tell them that there are over
700 but these are the ones that are the closest to our alphbet, they
learn how to write their name in heiroglyphics and write them vertically
down the ankh with a black pen. I also have them roll a slab of clay
and cut it into a rectangle. scratching two lines so that there are
three columns, they write into the clay their first, middle and last
name in heiroglyphics.
While it is still soft I put two holes in the top with the end of a
straw (like from mcdonalds) and after firing them, we paint them with
brown tempera paint, let dry and then wash off to give it that stone
look!! tie a piece of yarn through the holes and they are ready to hang!
both turn out great and the kids are really proud cause its their name!!
Oh, forgot to mention, of course we spend lots of time looking at the
differences between the different heiroglyphics and they spend lots of
time practicing their names so it looks right.
have fun:)
sherry