Re: Chinese art lessons

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 11:36:59 -0400

When my husband lived in Taipei he remembered the dragons as well. I
have a project I did at a museum from yesteryear,I'll tell you
One other thing we have are ornaments he brought back as a boy. We
add this with other cultural decorations to out tree each year. They
are stuffed embroidered birds. Also you can make banners on sticks.

Each child gets:
2-15" sticks (I believe I've used small dowels,but anything will
1-Sheet onion skin or parchment paper,about 24" cut to look like a
wave or 2 conected u's(it can be longer).
1-piece of tagboard for face.
watercolor paints
collage material and streammers if you want

Process: Have the students fold a piece of tagboard in half long
out a mask shape on one side.(a profile of tiger or dragon). Cut
"V" shapes to make scales. Cut out eyes and mouth and make Jagged
cuts along top anf bottom. Set aside.

Next pass out a body(Parchment paper) to each student. Let them
experiment with the watercolor and paint patterns or whatever they
like on it. If they wish to ad collage they may now or when dry,or
cut scales into body. Paint head of Dragon at this time if so doing.
While drying read a few stories related to lesson.

When dry attach with glue to the sticks at either end. Staple or
head to body. Attach streammers for tail.
Variation: Instead of dowels I've used matt board strips for legs in
place of sticks.
Variation 2: can use folded paper "accordian" body instead of
Also make a paper mache' head for Dragon.
This lesson also good for shadow puppets.
Ckart wrote:

> Some other areas to explore: Dragons (compare Medieval with Chinese);
> Good luck
> Cheryl

john barrick
Sandra Barrick