Re: Prang vs Crayola

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:27:26 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Sharon Henneborn <heneborn>
To: ArtsEdNet-Talk <artsednet.edu>
Date: Thursday, August 06, 1998 9:13 PM
Subject: Prang vs Crayola

Sharon wrote (snippets):

>I do hate the cheap brands that sometimes come in from the bid --All >wax
and binder and very little pigment---A waste of resources!!!
>Try a comparison. Make a black magic with 1/2 Crayola and 1/2 >Prang. Lay
the Prang on with light pressure. Another comparison--
>Try Prang soybean crayons on Black, dark blue or
>dark green construction paper.
>
> I like to explore product and consumerism with my kids so we do >these
kinds of comparisons often.

Dear Colleagues,

Sharon's letter just gave me a great idea regarding the issue of receiving
inferior products on bids. I am going to get some samples of the quality
products, along with prices, and compare them with the inferior ones (most
of which are in my classroom, lol) to demonstrate to key adminstrators the
importance of quality.

This is a subject very close to my heart, since I often recieve
substitutions, even when I say "NO SUBSTITUTIONS" and write the reason. The
products that are sent to me, that I dislike the most are as follows: Rich
Art Fresco (powdered) Tempera Paint, and Sargent crayons and watercolors.
Please tell me your opinion of these products (if any). Also, I'd like to
know if anyone uses powdered tempera and tempera cakes. I have the
following problems and would like some suggestions for solutions (by the
way, I'm campaigning for quality liquid tempera this year!). Tempera cakes
get really muddy, because I encourage experimentation with color mixing, I'd
like an easy way for kids to clean them. Powdered tempera settles quickly
(esp. the Rich Art) and gets moldy and smelly after only a few days, what
can I do about that?

Thanks in advance,
Leah

p.s. One more question, do you guys know, in advance, how much you have to
spend? If I knew, I could streamline my order. Also, do you order art
supplies for the whole school? If so, how do you get an idea of what
everyone might need, and does it come out of your budget?