Re: year plan outline

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mike Delaney (edelaney)
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 19:16:17 -0500

First of all it looks like my husband is writing this because the e-mail is
in his name. My name is Enola and I am writing in response to Danielle.
Danielle I teach in a school where we are lucky to have our courses divided
into media. I teach Ceramics and adv. ceramics and for the first time in
my 18 years of teaching I will teach drawing and adv. drawing and Painting.
I am not an expert but whatever you teach you will change your mind next
year. What I do is have a sketch day for all classes at the beginning of
the week no matter what class. The rest of the week our classes are longer
so i have a little art history and aesthetics and criticism along with the
art production during the same class period. I think you might want to
divide your areas into medias.

Some ideas:

Spend 3 weeks on drawing and drawing media.
3 weeks on sculpture and clay
3 weeks on fiber etc.
For each succedding year work with harder more compicated brojects.

Papermaking would be great for 10th grade along with collograph, relief
print,coiled basket weaving, plaster sculpture, beginning design
assignments. For tenth grade you could focus art history into cultures and
their crafts and into to drawing and painting techniques.

Then in the 11th grade you could go more indepth and have more advanced
project for instance clay projects not just a coil pot but a form made with
slabs, coil or combination and have the decoration be scrafito or
applique.

In 12th grade you could use the sight that someone posted earlier about the
art history. I went to that sight and they had the artists divided into
styles. You could gear your art with themes . example Peace. Look at
different artists that handle that theme. Robert Indiana, Look at his
sculpture and then look at the hard edge paintings. Look at the artist
that painted The Peaceable Kingdom. You get the idea, then have them
create their piece of artwork with Peace as the theme. For a sketch of the
day I had my students create a new peace symbol and a couple were so good
that their designs are painted as murals in the guidance department.