Re: Design Principles

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 18:20:29 -0400

This is in response to teacher/parent/PRINCIPALS-none of whom
probably
have any experience teaching or making "Art". It is true how
frustrating when no one seems to back you up or think what you do is
valid. The lack of respect the condescending or ignorant comments
made by other educators,the blatant disregaurd of "art class" as
being a valid subject. Still we all kep on doing it. I have a
suggestion-

I think an orientation is do for the educators in your
schools,including any board members who make descisions which affect
how you teach and hold your job in their hands. A nice invitation
sent to each or even putting it on the agenda at the next meeting.
Don't give them a choice,I think when asked face to face most would
comply. The next time art comes up,tell them you want them all to
attend a workshop/orientation on art and education,have handouts
made up for the class. You can do it any way you like. Setting out
the year curriculum,posting old lesson plans with samples, having
everyone explore the same medium differently. Do stations if you
like or have one project. Share with them your
goals,expectations,assignments etc. Share the development of a
project
and please allow for a discussion at the end of the class.
Come prepared and you will see how well it pays off.
Have another set up for parents. Approach the principal as a
peer,have him/her help in getting a good turnout and include them in
the lesson.
You can do it any way you feel comfortable,with slides,demo,project
or
straight stations. I think they will have a new view on Art
Education.
At the end have a sign up if they would like to volunteer(Parents).
Or
if they would be interested in working on multiprojrct lessons to be
incorporated in the other classrooms as well.
Assignment due for each teacher:
History/Social Studies
Science/Biology
Literature/English
Math
Art

Sandra

--
john barrick
Sandra Barrick

  • Reply: carla schiller: "Re: repousse questions in mid. school/h.s.........."