Re: repousse questions in mid. school/h.s..........

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:51:22 -0500

Bunki Kramer wrote:

> I'm interested in chatting with anyone out there who has done repousse in
> their mid. school/high school art classroom. I've done it in the eons past
> and I'd like to share techniques and maybe get some new ideas about the
> subject. Also....can anyone share some super book resources about repousse?
> I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks......
>
> Bunki Kramer - Los Cerros Middle School
> 968 Blemer Rd., Danville, California 94526
> bkramer.ca.us

Hi Bunki & all,
I've done repousse with my 7th graders and they have really enjoyed it.
I've used animals as the theme and put emphasis on texture for the background.
Using a variety of tools they experiment on different textures they can produce
on tooling copper. They choose a texture that will create a background that
will be appropriate for the animal. The students get nice contrast between the
smooth puffed out animal and the textured background. We antique the
background with india ink. Sometimes there is trouble getting it to stick
(even after roughing up the surface and washing it off) but generally it does
the job. The final piece is finished with a coat of acrylic spray and mounted
on black tagboard.
As far as the Roseart supplies go--yuck. I feel the quality is poor- dry out
fast and poor color.
MaryB.