Re: Design Principles

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lauretta A. Hendricks-Backus (lhb.edu)
Sun, 02 Aug 1998 11:46:53 -0500

Leah wrote:

>Here is a dilemma I'd like some ideas about. My principal (new) expressed
>how important "holiday art" and "nice things to take home" are to my art
>program. I said, "Why!?" He said, "P.R., parents expect that." I also
>suspect that teachers may complain because they "don't have time to make
>decorations" in their classroom (so my function, apparently is to supply
>patterns for adult pleasing decorations). Please share some holiday (any)
>art ideas that are artistically meaningful, but would also satisfy the
>decorative or gift/craft quality that my principal says (he, teachers)

This is not an unfamiliar situation to me. I find the trick is to adapt
some of your lesson ideas by doing them in customary holiday colors ie. red
and green for Christmas, Orange and black for Halloween. An example would
be,

I often do a lesson with first graders while studying LINE we do what I
call a line collage. After viewing various works of art pointing out all
the different lines you see etc. I set up art stations putting different
materials at different tables to make different kinds of lines. The kids
go from table to table fill a page with different kinds of line.> If it
was Christmas time I would just change the color of ink paint or pens to
red and green.

I totally sympathize with ignorant request by other teachers asking you to
make signs or do something that they somehow equate with art. I just try
to be as gracious as I can and tell them I'd be glad to direct them as how
to locate materials and assistance. It never ends.

Retta in Kansas