Re: design principles vs. crafts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Sat, 01 Aug 1998 22:57:29 -0500

Jasmine Preston wrote:

> You might try creating a brief explanation of the project to display along
> with the work. A catchy headline, examples of artist's work emphasizing
> the same principle, a simple summary of the objectives, etc. can all be
> helpful. It's a way of reinforcing the lesson with the students and
> educating everybody else.

> I put up the work and was so proud and then, so frustrated when there
> was no one in the building who recognized what an achievement the student's
> had made. I used to tell the students that they were learning stuff that
> many of their teachers and parents didn't know.
>
> It is an uphill battle, but you are making a difference. Keep the faith.
>
> Jasmine
> jdp30
>
> Hi,

I also find it frustrating when I and the students put so much into a lesson
where they have learned about principles, designing, art history, and more ,
but the staff and parents do not get it. That is why I feel we should
somewhat educate everyone in the school and communicate with parents. Most
parents and some teachers don't get it because their art education was
minimal. Jasmine's suggestion was excellent. When putting up displays put
information that tells what was learned in the lesson. For parents , send
home notes telling about your program or what the happenings are in the art
room. My students on the first day of art class take home a paper that tells
what the class expectations are and what are the requirements for art class.
This paper must be returned with a parent signature. That way I know the
parent saw it. The student keeps this paper in their sketchbook. Attached to
this paper is a letter explaining what the student will learn in our art
program. It's my attempt to be in contact with all the parents at least once
during the year.Displays can be lots of work, but they are important for many
reasons. They can help educate all the students (and adults). Ditto on keep
the faith.
MaryB.