Re: design principles vs. crafts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jasmine Preston (jdp30)
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 21:30:36 -0500

You might try creating a brief explanation of the project to display along
with the work. A catchy headline, examples of artist's work emphasizing
the same principle, a simple summary of the objectives, etc. can all be
helpful. It's a way of reinforcing the lesson with the students and
educating everybody else.

I am a certified art teacher who worked at the elementary level for five
years. I remember how exciting it was to get really meaningful work out of
the students--2nd graders who could use movement in a picture and explain
it! I put up the work and was so proud and then, so frustrated when there
was no one in the building who recognized what an achievement the student's
had made. I used to tell the students that they were learning stuff that
many of their teachers and parents didn't know.

It is an uphill battle, but you are making a difference. Keep the faith.

Jasmine
jdp30