Re: VISUAL ARTS IN A NEW KEY?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Beeching (robprod)
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 07:48:04 -0700

RE: PROJECT ART:

Hi Reatha,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm afraid that the "dumbing down" of schools
of education since the 60s, and the Art Ed., Ph.D., and Ed.D. ; programs
that stress "verbal" over "visual" disciplines, most of those going into
elementary grades receive little if any practical knowledge or experience
applying "principles and elements" of art in their elementary credentialing
methods classes. Professors tend to "talk" theory rather than "teach" art
processes. Consequently, that is why there is so much "project art" in the
lower grades. I've been fighting this for over 30 years.

I don't know why elementary school visual arts practices are continually
separated from what is taught in music, dance, and drama at the secondary
levels of instruction. There was a CBS "Classic" on "Primestar" that
featured Julliard Music training. One comment struck me (paraphrasing): "We
stress principle, elements, and performance training because you can't hold
a job without them."

I come from an artist family: mother; opera: father; industrial design, and
I can't understood why visual arts training is outside of general elementary
education. I would guess that the majority of elementary level teachers have
never experienced "art school" training.

If visual arts training began in the lower grades along with the teaching
of: reading, writing, and arithmetic, we would not have this hybrid
"project art" permeating elementary education. Many Americans confuse "arts
training" with low level catalogue-type "crafts." Most Americans do not
seem to be able to differentiate between the two.

SEE: http://members.tripod.com/robprod