K/3 BASIC SHAPES OF INDUSTRY - AGAIN!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Beeching (robprod)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 01:34:57 -0700

Respond to this message.

--=====================_872782497==_

>>Subject: K/3 BASIC SHAPES OF INDUSTRY - AGAIN!
SHAPES.txt;

>>>Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 01:19:02 -0700
>>>To: artsednet-request-pub.getty.edu
>>>From: Robert Beeching <robprod>
>>>Subject: K/3 BASIC SHAPES OF INDUSTRY - AGAIN!
>>>

>>>K/3 FACT SHEETS FOR YOUR GRADE LEVEL COPY OF
>>>"BASIC SHAPES OF INDUSTRY" "DOUBLE CLICK" THE
>>>"BLUE" LINE TO DOWNLOAD THE ATTACHMENT!
>>>
>>>Hope this helps those new to attachments!
>>>-------------------------------------------rb

--=====================_872782497==_

FACT SHEET K/3a

DTEK/VS DESIGN TECHNOLOGY VIDEO SERIES
ART PRODUCTION FORMAT

PROGRAM: 100-400 EXTENSIONS
UNIT: 413a BASIC SHAPES OF INDUSTRY

GENERALIZATIONS:

The BASIC SHAPES OF INDUSTRY are all around us: CIRCLES, SQUARES, and TRIANGLES. In this game of recognition, it is our job to discover these shapes as they exist hidden in the classroom, in the home, and in the general environment.

TERMINOLOGY:

BASIC = simplest/beginning
SHAPE = appearance of an object
INDUSTRY = manufacturing/constructing
COLLAGE = gluing down arranged objects

MATERIALS:

Tag or Chipboard and 18" x 12" Construction Paper (black)
Construction Paper: Primary YELLOW, RED, and BLUE
Glue Sticks
Scissors
Old Magazines/Newspapers/Catalogues

CONSTRUCTION:

In advance, the instructor constructs a CIRCLE, SQUARE and TRIANGLE from a 12" x 12" piece of tag or chipboard. Laminate appropriate colors to boards. The circle is to be primary yellow, the square primary red, and the triangle primary blue.

PROCESS/SKILL DEVELOPMENT: SHAPE/COLOR/CONSTRUCTION

RECOGNITION GAME: "I am a (?)"

Sitting in-groups, students are given the following directions. Look around the room and see if you can find any object that has a circle, square, or triangle as part of its construction. (1) Raise your hand and (2) when called upon come to the front of the room, and select the shape from the table. (3) Hold the shape in front of you, and say:

EXAMPLES:

01. "I am a CLOCK." "I am a CIRCLE."
02. "I am a TILE." "I am a SQUARE."
03. "I am a Hang-glider." "I am a TRIANGLE."

VERBAL REINFORCMENT CHANT:

"Circles, Squares, and Triangles, are the Basic Shapes of Industry"

FOLLOW UP ACTIVITY:

From a collection of old magazines, newspapers, and catalogues, have students search for objects that contain one or more of the Basic Shapes of Industry. To make a Collage, have students cut out, arrange, and glue down shapes on a sheet of 18" x 12" black construction paper.
The introduction to the BASIC SHAPES OF INDUSTRY prepares the student for the next production unit: CIRCLES, SQUARES and TRIANGLES where the student begins to learn how to shape objects from the environment.