Re: Elementary rewards

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 10:44:40 -0400 (EDT)

Respond to this message.

It is o.k. for all to express ideas. I hope noone misinterprets some of
the comments. From what I read, it seems that some elementary teachers are
devising some extra ways of reinforcing good behavior with a reward that
students like. Am I correct? On the other hand, it didn't seem like Robert
was "bashing' anyone, but was trying to give some ideas linked to
students' gaining confidence in their own ideas. Could there be a way of
taking both ideas and coming up with a reward?
I hope everyone feels free to comment on any topic. Maybe the
"impersonality" of the link leaves out the personality of the speaker,
which could be gauged if we were in a seminar somewhere.
When I taught elementary art one items I always had available was a big
potato chip can of plasticene clay which could be used for fun modeling as
a reward. I teach at a high school where some of my colleagues give small
pieces of candy. I, however, cannot keep up with a daily reward system so
sometimes just have a "class appreciation" day when I make lemonade or
bring in pretzels occasionally. I've even brought in breakfast of bagels,
etc. for advanced classes for a sometime treat. One thing I like to do to
recognize the specialness of each student is send an art related
postcard(usually bought in quantity from Dover) for the student's
birthday. I still am surprised at how happy this makes my "sophisticated"
students. Well....we start school soon--so everyone have a productive year
and let's not take all comments too personally.

Respond to this message.