Re: another question!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 16:31:42 -0700 (MST)

Respond to this message.

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, DORIAN F SMITH wrote:

> Here's another question for you, since we are asking them now:
> Should a practising artist be an educator before teaching art?
> Dorian

In other places and times it is/was the choice of the parent or student.
Still, a good idea I think, but not currently a really viable or popular
one.

I'm a practicing artist, I have been a teacher and now I'm working, ever
so slowly, on my certification etc. I'm choosing to be an educator beforwe
continuing. For one thing it opens up broader options, tho I'm not sure
I'll pursue them. Even tho I disagree with much of the instruction I'm
receiving I'm still learning a lot and being exposed to ideas which I
might never have encountered or been a long time finding. In any case, it
seems to be my nature to procede syncretically... choosing one from column
A and two from column B while rejecting for today the rest of the menu's
offerings. I create my eduction in the same way I create my art, exploring
ideas and picking the ones it appears that I can use.

Some artists <I think> wouldn't do so well learning to be educators and
some would learn to become better artists in the process.

The best answer to your question may be... "It depends..."

;)

-henry

Respond to this message.