RE: copper tooling

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:20:00 -0400

Respond to this message.

Laura,
I have seen metal doors from Africa with wonderful designs - you could
use those for inspiration.
Try making something three dimensional - constructing polyhedra (Escher
created several out of metal and incorporated tessellations into the
design - you wouldn't have to go that far - and I wouldn't recommend
it!), you could even make it functional and create a container. You
could add a lot of math by creating the nets (flat patterns of geometric
solids) for the finished piece.
Starting with triangles of copper, you could find the center of the
triangle (connect the midpoint of a side with the opposite corner -
after finding all three, the point of intersection is the center.) Make
a small indentation with a punch, nail or whatever - don't puncture.
Have the students create designs on the foil. Balance the finished
triangle on a dowel rod (with a point on one end, use a scrap of wood as
the base.) Each class member could create one - using different
triangles. Mount on different lengths of dowels and make a group
sculpture.)
How about book covers, frames, portraits...
Ellen

Respond to this message.