Re: question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Terry Barrett (barrett.8)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:17:21 -0500

Respond to this message.

You have an interesting research topic. I teach college art education,
including art criticism. I have made art and exhibited it, and this
informs my teaching. Many years ago I stopped making art to devote more
time to writing. Recently, I began making art again, but not for
exhibition. I wrote and published art criticism, and this informs my
teaching of art criticism. Currently, I am not writing art criticism
because I am devoting more time to writing about teaching art criticism. I
teach art criticism to learners of all ages in schools and museums, and
this informs my teaching and writing about the subject. I also find it
informative to talk to and read about those who make art professionally and
to those who write art criticism professionally and to those who teach
about such things. I think there are many ways, not one way, to be
informed about what one teaches. I hope you post what you find about this
topic. Best wishes.

>I am studying college instructors, and am interested in how many college
>instructors are practicing artists. Especially in the area of design
>and illustration.
>
>I am currently looking at whether it is more important to have extensive
>experience in the field, versus strong teaching skills and teaching
>background.
>
>In my school we only hire 'working professionals, and I am often amazed
>at how a great portfolio doesn't mean the person can be a good teacher.
>My concern is trying to train these 'professionals the necessary
>skills to function in a classroom.
>
>I would be interested in any comments.
>
>Thanks.
>Amy
>

>On Tue, 12 Aug 1997
>RWilk85411
>wrote:
>
>> I have a question I would like to place before this distinguished group.
>>
>> In your opinion should art teachers be practicing artists? Yes or no? Why or
>> why not?
>>
>> Reatha Wilkins
>> Carolina Forest High School
>> Myrtle Beach, SC