Re: Artists and Art Teachers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Beeching (robprod)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:04:35 -0700

Respond to this message.

>Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 10:03:09 -0700
>To: "Clair/Lily Kerns" <CWKerns>
>From: Robert Beeching <robprod>
>Subject: Re: Artists and Art Teachers
>

>As the word "love," we tend to use the word "artist" as an umbrella word.
>
>All "artists" begin as "craftspersons" learning the basic processes,
techniques, and developing the skills of the trade. Craftspersons do become
"artisans" (one skilled at a craft, i.e. carving,weaving). An "artist" is
one who is recognized by his or her own PEERS as being one who is
exceptonal within that group - exceptional in a field, i.e Yo Yo Mah is an
exceptional cellist among his peers.
>Where the craftsperson may perfect a skill, like Yo Yo Ma or a
Michaelangelo, the artist goes further to interpret life (says something
profound) with his or her work. IT TAKES AN ARTIST TO KNOW ONE!

>Otherwise, what's the point of the arguement? Why have label at all? If
everyone who dabbles is an artist, we do not need a defiinition. We may
aspire to become artists, but not many of us put in the time to make the
grade!

>Bob
>

>At 07:19 AM 8/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>> years. IMHO, being an artist is about process! Whether one sells,
>>> exhibits or just does art at home, never to be seen by anyone else,
>>> it's art! Because it completes something within the artist. I like
>>> to use the analogy of sports. How many people love to play sports,
>>> because it makes them feel good? How many of those people have
>>> serious thoughts about making a living by playing sports? If they
>>> aren't making a living at it or playing in exhibition sports, does
>>
>>> doesn't necessarily have to be manifest on any tangible level,
>>> it only needs to make the artist feel complete. Teaching art is about
>>> showing students how to see their world in a different way. Are we going
>>
>>> to say to our students that if they are not producing and selling art as
>>adults,
>>> that they can't say they are artists?
>>>

>>Well said, Alix. And I think you you have just said for me what has
>>bothered me--at a gut level--about DBAE (yes, I know--heresy!). It makes
>>some important points, but tends to minimize this area--which is what makes
>>art "real" and not just another subject for kids to learn.
>>
>>Anybody else feel this way?
>>
>>Lily

>>Lily Kerns CWKerns
>>http://198.139.157.15/fumsmarionvilleumw/