Re: question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Amy L Pate (apate)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 19:16:15 -0700 (MST)

Respond to this message.

I am studying college instructors, and am interested in how many college
instructors are practicing artists. Especially in the area of design
and illustration.

I am currently looking at whether it is more important to have extensive
experience in the field, versus strong teaching skills and teaching
background.

In my school we only hire 'working professionals', and I am often amazed
at how a great portfolio doesn't mean the person can be a good teacher.
My concern is trying to train these 'professionals' the neccessary
skills to function in a classroom.

I would be interested in any comments.

Thanks.
Amy

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997
RWilk85411
wrote:

> I have a question I would like to place before this distinguished group.
>
> In your opinion should art teachers be practicing artists? Yes or no? Why or
> why not?
>
> Reatha Wilkins
> Carolina Forest High School
> Myrtle Beach, SC