Re: face painting!!!!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:50:50 -0700 (MST)

Respond to this message.

Bob makes some good points. I hadn't thought of it from those angles.
Neat!.

Consider the importance placed on the quality of professonal or high-end
commercial (spa type) make-up used on the face. My daughter insists that
even good makeup which is a few months old is unhealthy for the skin and
can cause some damage. I was, long ago, a theatre major. In the sixties
even the quality of the theatrical makeup available was fairly
questionable and could leave one with raw painful patches or even rashes.
SO, if the quality of the makeup one uses is a consideration it might be
worth applying the same standards to what one applies to the faces of
other peoples children; especially if you are working in a neighborhood
where the parents can feel comfortable paying the big bucks.

Pay attention to words like CADMIUM in the color selection of face-paints
too. Heavy metals are definitely NOT healthy.

As to the application of the experience to visual art (the kinda stuff we
are supposed to be teachers of); it's worth thinking about. At the moment
I'm reconsidering the quality of art activities. I was fairly much a
purist in a way; wanting to be involved with art activities which appeared
"authentic", you know, something I'd consider doing as an artist for my
own artistic reasons or something I could imagine another artist taking
up. I still think it's pretty much a good benchmark, but now, I'm thinking
more about not just professional art but things closer to folk or
popular art. I want to include aesthetic activities which might come up
for any one, for Joe or Joan Schmo from Anytown, USA; OR their kids.

So, facepainting is, or at least may be, a viable consideration. If it is
a consideration then what are its aesthetics? Is it just little suns and
moons? Is it a tattoo substitute? (a lot of historical culture there)
Is it part, or potentially part, of contemporary culture? What would I
want to have painted on my face? Does it express part of my personal
identity? Is that aspect important? Is it important in k-6 or k-12? Where
do we want to go with it? What's going to make it "art"?

Just some more things to think about I guess?

-henry

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Bob Greaves wrote:

>...who have had their faces painted and the paint is cracking, the face
> looks tired and even thought the material is "non Toxic" it still must
> be uncomfortable and probably closes off the pores in the skin.

> and i guess face makup in human history, it has its
> place, but... Only if the recepient is involved in the painting
> process and there is no likelyhood of skin reaction.

Respond to this message.