Re: Extra Duties

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
apeshet
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 06:45:50 +0000

Respond to this message.

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 23:51:38 -0500
> From: Chaney <lchaney>
> To: artsednet
> Subject: Extra Duties

> Hello All,
> I have a question. Do any of you (teachers) get paid extra for duties beyond your contract?
> I don't want to know amounts, just if you do or not. > For five years now I have been hosting two art fairs at our school and
> participating in 3 others. I also do set design for two musical
plays > and advise art club. I receive my pay for teachers contract only.
>> Is this a standard procedure? > Other teachers at my school (home ec, band, music, etc) receive extra
> should I ask for some? How do I, after doing these things for nothing
> in the past? > Maybe I'm out of line.
> > Thanks.>
> Melissa Chaney
> Midway R-1
> K-12
> Cleveland, MO

Hi Melissa;

You sound like a devoted and wonderful teacher! No, you are not out
of line for wanting to be somewhat compensated for all the extra
time. The buzz word you are looking for is STIPEND! Yes, it will be
hard to get that money, since you have been giving this time for free
so far. Try asking for a stipend from your school improvement
program (S.I.P. or whatever your state's equivalent is.) There is
often a mission statement in the S.I.P. plan about reaching out for
community involvement. Also consider a fundraiser and then bill the
school for at least mileage, materials and hopefully supervision
time. Also consider having a very frank talk with your principal and
then P.T.A. and ask for funds. Ask for something equivalent to what
the other people you mentioned are getting. Good luck!

Alix Peshette
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA

Respond to this message.