Re: art on a cart

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Clair/Lily Kerns (CWKerns)
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 20:53:07 -0500

Respond to this message.

The best advice I can give you is to plan and organize--then organize and
plan some more.
I tried to plan activities that used similar materials when possible. If
you have a break to get to your supply area, plan two sets of supplies and
switch them.
I kept a container of basics on the cart always--extra pencils, erasers,
colors, scissors, rulers, tape, recycled paper, a compass, stapler, etc.

For painting, a stack of single sheet newspaper, two water
containers--clean and dirty, small bottle of well thinned liquid soap;
rags, towels or papertowels; container for brushes. Establish a routine, so
kids know what to expect and how to assist with preparation and clean up.
You may want to group 4 desks together to share supplies. I often put a
brief note on each blackboard in the morning telling them what would be
needed. Work with teacher and administration so you have a place to dry
wet paintings, sculptures, etc.. Once you have figured out how much time
is required for clean up, always allow a little extra--and have some 3
minute "games" for the rare times when you are done early.

Teachers who stay in the room--depends on who the teacher is! I always
tried to give lower elementary teachers the sample I made in class with the
kids to add to their collection of do-able art projects. (We sometimes took
them to the principal also.)

Wear comfortable shoes--you will be on your feet more than in your own room
(teacher's desk may be full, etc.)

Insist (if you can) on a bit of passing time for yourself. You need to get
organized for the next group. Otherwise work it out with your teachers that
you will leave/arrive on one side or other of the "official " time. I tried
to group supplies by grade, on different shelves, etc. It might be
possible, with a cooperative teacher, to carry some specific supplies to a
classroom first thing in the morning before classes.

Teaching from a cart isn't all bad. The kids don't get wound up on the
long trip to your room; you don't have to escort them back when you should
be getting ready for the next group; nobody forgets to bring the designated
supplies; I think it is easier to tie your lessons in with what's going on
in the room because you are there to see it. In my case, the classrooms
were better equipped (blackboards, TV etc) than the art room......
Let us know what works for you.
Lily
----------
> From: Nitnoy1
> To: artsednet
> Subject: art on a cart
> Date: Sunday, August 10, 1997 3:49 PM
>
> Help!!
> I recently found out that I will be working from a cart this year. This
is
> rather frightening for me because I am only a second year middle school
> teacher. Any suggestions about organizations, drying, clean-up, doing
3-d
> work? How do you deal with teachers who won't leave the room during your
> class time?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated
> Thanks Robin

Respond to this message.