Re: architecture ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D. (dg09)
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:05:19 -0500 (CDT)

Respond to this message.

At 7:44 AM 08/10/1997, Kara Lee English wrote:
>Dear All,
>I am looking for ideas on using architecture in the art classroom at
>any age level. Do you have any great web sites, or lesson ideas or
>crerative uses for teaching art by using architecture?
>Thanks,
>Kara English
>kenglish

There is a great book called Hopper's Places. It is a book of Hopper's
paintings of houses, buildings, etc. Go to books in print and see if you
can find it. It is in my office at school instead of at home. I always
thought it would be a great idea to study his art and then have children do
drawings and paintings, etc of the exteriors of houses within their local
communities. You could take photographs of interesting houses and bring
them in as resource material. The children could also take photographs.
You could compare and contrast Victorian homes with more modern styles of
architecture. You could also introduce many architectural terms such as
facade, cornice, double-hung sash, etc.

Another twist would be to use the web. There are some great sites on Frank
Lloyd Wright, in particular the Guggenheim Museum with great pictures. You
could have students design an art museum. There are also some great sites
on Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier. Of course, there are probably some
great sites on the great Gothic cathedrals.

One of my students did an entire unit on the Architecture and culture of
the Barn in America. She did some great stuff and had some great pictures.

Hopes this helps a little.

Diane

Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Art Education