Re: Help

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 16:39:08 -0400 (EDT)

Respond to this message.

Good luck for the upcoming year. You'll love teaching high school
students; they are a lot of fun. One of the biggest things I've noticed
and I've taught at the current high school since 1981, but 12 of those
years were English/journalism, was to give them an overview of what they
will be doing and what is expected for their grades. High school students
are very grade conscious(most) and it saves a lot of headaches to spell
out what they need to accomplish, what criteria for the grades. Plan
deadlines, too, as this gets to be a problem. The art teachers at the
school I'm at have decided to give participation grades as part of their
total grade to keep them on task. We keep trying different things.I'll
keep in touch with other suggestions, but if I can go from teaching
elementary art to teaching high school English (involuntarily), you'll be
able to make the transition from elementary art to high school art. Also,
they need to have demonstrations and specific help, too. Don't assume too
much. I will happily send you some plans for Art I if you email me an
address. Another teacher and I worked out a good plan for that foundations
course and this summer we are writing the curriculum (revised) for it.

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 BGAirDry wrote:

> After 25 years of teaching elementary school I will be teaching high school.
> I'll be teaching art 1, crafts / art expressions (non-art majors) and
> sculpture 1, 2, and 3 with an emphasis on ceramics. I'm used to classes once
> a week (now I'll see them every day) and little kids! I did not do alot of
> 3-D activities as I had a storage problem. I'm taking a ceramics course this
> summer, so I think I have the ceramics part under control!
> I need practical information, words of wisdom, discipline and motivation
> techniques. I could use names of helpful books or any curriculum you would be
> willing to share (especially high school sculpture and 3-D design). This all
> takes place at a big city high school (meager funds, large classes etc.).
> Any thoughts or ideas would be highly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Bonnie

Respond to this message.