Re: graphic arts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Clair/Lily Kerns (CWKerns)
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 08:17:43 -0500

Respond to this message.

I am very much interested in this area, especially ways to integrate the
computer when you have only one or two for a class. It seems to me that
almost any project you are doing could be adapted for doing on the computer
(or using the computer as a portion of the task). This way one person or
small group could work on the computer while the rest are working with the
traditional media. The computer version could also be homework, extra
credit etc. follow up discussion on the differences between the approach
could be very thought-provoking.

Of, course, the software available will make a big difference in what can
be done. To my mind Fractal Design's Painter is worth every penny--and
sophisticated as it is, even younger students can learn to use its basic
tools without too much hassle.

I would welcome any sharing on this .....

Lily
----------
> From: Robert Alexander Fromme <rfromme>
> To: artistlps
> Cc: artsednet
> Subject: Re: graphic arts
> Date: Friday, August 01, 1997 3:53 PM
>
> At 05:18 PM 7/28/97 -0400, Linda Stauffer wrote:
> >I too am looking for ways to use the computer, esp. hypermedia in the
> >art classroom. I am in the middle of a research paper on the uses of
> >hypermedia in the Art Classroom, both as a "media" for creation of art,
> >and a tool for teaching art. Did you get any replies to your posting?
>
> I am not sure which posting you are thinking about. I looked back in the
> mail out box of my Eudora mailer and found the following comments. You
may
> have been thinking of this posting. I did not get much in the way of
> course in this area and has been working on a curriculum for the thing.
You
> may want to talk to her about sending you a copy of her curriculum.
E-mail
> [...]
> >students with 10 computers.
> >
> >Can anyone please send me information on lesson plans for this class.
> >Also what do others of you do when half the class is on the computer?
> >What projects can the other half be doing?????
>
> We have a course called "Electronics in the Visual Arts" which sounds
like
> something similar to your situation. I have taught the class several
years
> and it is probably one of the brightest spots in my day. Students seem
> love it and this creates the same problem which you face with too few
> computers and too many kids. Last semester I had 26 kids sign up for
the
> class and we had only six computers provided by the school. I ended up
> bringing one of my own" home made" platforms in to bring the total to
seven.
> I also provided one additional color flatbed scanner, a camcorder, and
some
> specialized software since the school simply did not have the budget to
> support all that we needed. dI also provided a modem, ISP account and the
> teacher next to me had a phone line so I strung an extension over to my
> class and we shared the line using an AB switch in here office. This
gave
> us access to the Internet and all of its resources. We had students
using
> the stations in class every third day. Some of them came before school,
at
> lunch if I did not have duty, during their other classes if they had
their
> work finished and could get a pass from the other teacher, and after
school.
> Needless to say, it was a popular course.
>
> You will need to try to find out what kind of equipment they have for the
> class. If you have a scanner, quickcam or camcorder with at least one av
> machine. The kids can construct ink drawings, collages, claymation,
> paintings and other traditional media when they are not on the platforms
and
> then they can digitize the work and use it the computer image processing
> environment when it is their turn to use the equipment.
>
> Much of your success will be determined by the quality of the hardware
and
> the software that you will have. Images take up huge amounts of space.
> Most of the class projects are larger then a 1.44 meg disk and we must
> compress it or use zip drives to hold the works in progress.
>
> Memory is also a problem. We have only 16 megs on most of the machines
and
> FD Painter 4. 0 is such a memory hog that it often locks up the machine
or
> simply will not load after the install. Virtual memory slows down all of
the
> processes and should be avoided if possible. Other programs such as
Video
> Fusion, Avid VideoShop and Premier will require huge amounts of hard disk
> space and memory. Most professional image processors have hundreds of
megs
> of memory in order to deal with images in high resolution.
>
> Mac Software provided by the school for us included Ofoto, Photoshop 3.0,
> ClarisWorks, FD Painter, Avid VideoShop, Premier Claris HomePage. I also
> provided Windows 95 software to be used on my "home made" machine. This
> software included Power Goo, Photoshop, Illustrator, Scantool, Hotdog
Pro,
> [...]
own
> works.
>
> 8. They were to make an eight cel animation and load it into one of the
> video manipulation environments or to create an animated gif for the web.

> 9. They were asked to get involved in assorted other learning
experiences
> involving specific tools and image processing methods. I encouraged all
of
> them to have a little time using both the Power PCs in the class and my
> "cobbled together" Windows 95 pentium. The world outside the classroom
will
> involve both kinds of equipment.
>
> 10. Students were also given the option to learn a bit about html and
they
> were encouraged to develop pages where they could show their own work.
>
> As far as teaching methods, I had a low heat overhead projector and an
lcd
> panel so I could demo the software directly on a machine and the whole
class
> could watch me work and see the tools in action. They were also able to
> surf the web and see what other college students, professionals and high
> school kids were doing. I also purchased some of the Mac Academy videos
> about Photoshop 4.0 and I used parts of them to help the kids understand
> difficult digital imaging concepts. I give short lectures about the
> computer, its history, digital vs analog media, resolution, file formats,
> resampling and interpolatioin, the Internet, web and web authoring, and
> printing. We do not have a quality printer so I use Kinko's to make
> hardcopy of only the best work. I end up footing much of the bill here
but
> there are times when the kids need to show their work and the traditional
> exhibition logic has the work matted and framed in a public place rather
> then on the web or in a file.
>
> Keep in mind that no matter how much equipment the school provides for
your
> class, it will never seem like enough. There is the constant demand for
new
> or better equipment and software. You will have to set your own policy
and
> learn to try to avoid using your own personal equipment, but the tendency
is
> to try to give the kids the best experience possible and often that means
> using your own funds to make something neat happen for those who are
> motivated to learn about the new technology.
>
> I will continue to develop and experiment with the assignments for this
> class. Next year I will try to set up a project where they take a work
by a
> modern master and create their own version of it using distorted images
of
> themselves or other willing classmates. I am thinking of Picasso's
Guernica
> as a start. The kids will have fun using Power Goo and Photoshop to
create
> the experessions. They will have to overlay multiple views of the face
using
> layers in photoshop and they will have to learn to scale and control
> selections to develop their own version about the horrors of war. This
will
> give me a chance to confront them with some traditional content and
history
> and help them to make a link between our tradition and the power of this
new
> technology.
>
> hope this helps.
>
> Bob Fromme