Re: PICTURE LADY PROGRAM

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alix Peshette (apeshet)
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 06:13:00 +0000

> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 21:41:49 -0600
> From: ROBERT FALLOWS <bobfallows>
> To: ARTSNET <artsednet>
> Subject: PICTURE LADY PROGRAM

> I am looking for a "picture lady" or "volunteer in the classroom" type
> of program for a small private grade school. We do have a full time art
> teacher, so this would be an enrichment program. Do you know of one?
>

> Maureen Fallows

Hi Maureen,

A wonderful 'picture lady program' was developed in the 1970's in the
San Juan School District called The San Juan Parent Art Docent
Program. A binder with suggested art prints, artists' biographies,
and related activities was developed and used to train the parent
volunteers who gave these talks in many of the 52 elementary schools.
I purchased this binder and adapted the materials for use in my
district on a much smaller scale.

A person who would know if the program binder can be still purchased
would be Dr. Joyce Wright, Director of Middle School Programs,
California Consortium for Visual Arts Education, Sacramento County
Office of Education, 9738 Lincoln Village Drive, Sacramento, CA
95827. Dr. Wright can also be reached by e-mail at:
jwright@sac-co.k12.ca.us

Good luck with your program.

-Alix Peshette
Emerson Junior High School