Re: (Fwd) The "New" Art History

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
J. Pease (jpease)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 20:41:00 -0700

DBAE has affected art history in that it treats art history as a
discipline, as a body of knowledge which utilizes certain methodologies in
order to arrive at knowledge. Before DBAE, art history seemed to consist
merely of information on the art and artist - after DBAE, there is also a
concern with teaching art history in a more interactive way and setting up
strategies which not only teach the information but allow students to
emulate the art historian and his/her method of arriving at knowledge. For
example, exercises in stylistic analysis, in constructing timelines, in
seeking connections between works of art - all of these involve the student
in learning in a much more active manner than sitting passively in the
classroom with the teacher imparting information. Imparting information via
slides will always be a part of art history, but it need not be the only
manner of learning -

>Is art history contributing to interdisciplinary approaches to
>teaching?
Art history lends itself to interdisciplinary approaches, and I am finding
that my knowledge of art history is becoming increasingly sought after by
teachers who wish to incorporate it. I have been enriching the AP American
History class at the local high school for the past five years with a
lecture on American Art History - the lecture/s complement the themes which
the history teacher has touched on during the course of the year. It is
only two lectures a year, but the students seem to feel that it not only
reiterates the historical themes of the class but adds a dimension that
they seem to appreciate. This year the Honors World History teacher has
contacted me to do the same for her classes. At some point in time,
hopefully the high school will consider an interdisciplinary approach that
will utilize art history to a much greater extent.

Hope these thoughts are of some use to your survey.