Re: artsednet-digest V1 #258

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Barbara Creasy (bcreasy)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 18:39:11 -0400 (EDT)

> From: MLNassau
> Subject: students with handicaps
> I have a job interview on Tuesday for a position teaching students with
> disabilities (ages 3 - 21). Does anyone have any tips or relevant
> information that would be useful for the interview and the job itself?
> Thanks,
> Michelle Nassau

Hi Michells,
I know this is proabably too late, but thought I'd offer some advice in
case you still need it. I teach visually impaired and blind kids and they
love art. Some have motor and/or mental handicaps as well. The important
thing is to think about what they can DO, not what they can't. If small
motor skills are lacking, concentrate on large ones, and make sculptures
and large items. If there's no vision, incorporate sounds, textures,
shapes, etc. And many visually impaired (even totally blind) kids have
definite favorite colors. Remember to use lots of contrast. Make
directions incremental for your slower students. Allow free form. NEVER,
no matter how "normal" or "handicapped" your student is, tell them things
have to be a certain way. I'm not saying that you'd do this, but I've seen
some kids turned off by art that way because one more task to be done, not
fun and creative. You may want to relate art pieces to real life. If
you're studying animals, keep in mind that often, blind kids do not know
what animals look like. I had a new student last week who was amazed when
she saw my stuffed animals (real ones, once alive) because she had no idea
what a squirrel looked like. Because they were in trees, she thought they
looked like birds!
Barb
bcreasy