Re: Art in America

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Leslie Miller (zandee)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 00:25:05 -0400 (EDT)

I was just going through very old mail, because my old computer is getting
full, and came across this posting of 5/30. On our first day of school,
today, my fourth grades and I were looking at portraits and self portraits
done by Rembrandt and Leyster and Karsh and Sully and Sargent and of course
Mona Lisa. I admit, all realistic. The kids began to ask me about art which
"just sqiggles and blobs of color" that was selling for so much money and
what makes it art! They were very upset that they tried so hard to make
things photo-like(not because I make them do that) and here was an artoist
making thousands and thousands of dollars for a "scribble." They were so
wise in their discussion. We never really did come to an answer, but it is
an avenue that we will explore, after I expand my store od posters and
books, so we can form hypothesis and ideas.
I wonder if after this May 3oth post there was anything else that I could
take to them. Nice to have Grownups discussing the same ideas as my kids.
Leslie
art educator
Potter Road Elementary school
Framingham ,MA