Re: artsednet-digest V1 #255

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Barbara Creasy (bcreasy)
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 20:24:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996 owner-artsednet-digest wrote:

> I personally like to recommend themes that are relevant to students, rather than
> timelines or cultures. Timelines and cultures seem to be outside of what interests
> children in the elementary school. Themes allow the curriculum to be responsive to
> individual, group and cultural perceived needs or interests.

My students have always liked timelines, especially when they are able
to have several going at once and show regional, national, and
international events all at once. I've also had great sucess with themes,
drawing on units in history or science for collaborative units. I teach
gr. 4-8. One of the most fun units was done with students in grades 4-5
(although it could be done in any grades). The students studied space in
science class, did "space music" in music, aliens and solar systems in
art, then the science teacher worked with the music teacher and they wrote
a play with the students' participation. The PE teacher did choreography,
science teacher supplied the "facts" and background information, the
music teacher wrote songs, and of course props were done during art. As
the performance date approached, language arts teachers allowed a few days
in order to work on lines. It was a great project, and now, 5 years later,
my students still talk about it!

Barb Creasy bcreasy