Re: Teach timeline,theme or cultures?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Diane Gregory (dianegregory)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 22:07:36 -0600

suzette milam wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm still shifting papers, catagorizing lessonplans, and re-organizing
> stuff tring to decide how to present a comprehensive curriculum DBAE style.
> I am teaching art 1,2 and 3 this year (h.s.). I am thinking about teaching
> timeline units that incorporate artists and cultures in art 1. Then in art
> 2 and 3 go through the timeline and study different artists and cultures.
> Maybe in art 2 and 3 starting with Contemparay artists and going backward
> would be a good hook. What do you guys n' gals think? I ordered the DBAE
> curriculum sampler as suggested by Debbie, but it has not arrived yet.
> Thanks, Suzette
> P.S. Ken, I sent a seething letter to our professor friend. I don't know
> that it will help, but it made me feel better :)

I was going over my mail again and I thought I would respond to this mail. I think it is a
good question.

I personally like to recommend themes that are relevant to students, rather than
timelines or cultures. Timelines and cultures seem to be outside of what interests
children in the elementary school. Themes allow the curriculum to be responsive to
individual, group and cultural perceived needs or interests. The DBAE curriculum
sampler, which you have no doubt received by now, uses themes and does a great
job of dealing with the big questions and experiences of life. To me that is what art
is all about and that is what our discipline really has to offer others. The themes
approach also allows for an interdisplinary approach that makes it feasible to relate
other curricular areas to the art curriculum. It really allows teachers of many
disciplines to work together making learning relevant and related to other areas. It
gives a sense of cohesion to the total curriculum,which is more difficult to achieve
with the timeline or cultural approach.

The big question is always: What themes should one use? I would interested to
hear what themes artsednet readers are using and I think my art education majors
would also like to know this as well.

Thanks for listening and I hope my thoughts do not come too late.

Best of luck with your planning.

Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Art Education
Southwest Texas State University