Re: Mac vs. PC

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Diane Gregory (dianegregory)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 21:50:16 -0600

randaro wrote:

> My only concearn is the quantity and quality of software available for the Mac.
> When I go to a store I see ten Isle's of Pc. software to one of Mac software.
> As an educator I get tons of Mac software sellers banging at my door, but little Pc.
> Is it really equal and at what cost?

The age old question resurfaces again as to which platform to buy or use: Mac or
PC. For art educators the answer seems clear to me, I recommend Macintosh.
There are more graphic and art education software available for the Mac than
currently for the PC. However, the PC seems to be closing in on the MAC.
However, I still believe and will probably always believe that the MAC is easier to use
than the PC, Windows 95 notwithstanding. Having said this, there are other issues
to consider.

Cost is a main consideration. Macintosh is generally a little more expensive than
PCs, but the prices have come down in recent years and they are really competitive.
Dollar for dollar, I think Macintosh offers the best value or more bang for your buck.

Another consideration is what your campus is using and what the administration will
support. One advantage of the Macintosh is the capibility of the Mac to be used as
a PC or a Mac if you purchase the additional devices to be able to do this. PCs can
not do this.

A final consideration is to look at what you want to do with the computers. If you
want to prepare students for the commercial art world, then I recommend you go for
Macs, since most advertising and design studios use the Macintosh. In addition,
most colleges and universities with a graphic design program, will most likely use
the Macintosh. If you don't want a commercial art program, then it may be a toss up,
however, my preference would still be the Macintosh, because of its ease of use.

This is a brief explanation of where I stand on the issue. Others may have other
viewpoints. In actuality the question may rest with your administration and may be a
moot point for you.

Hope this helps.

Diane Gregory, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Art Education