Re: SAFETY

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stenger - Judith DiSalvo (jstenger)
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:32:07 -0400 (EDT)

Mark,
Your points are well taken. We are at far greater risk than our students
because of our prolonged exposure to materials. It really is frustrating
to have to find safer substitutes, and nothing is without any risk at all.
Much has changed in our choices of materials since I started teaching 30
years ago. I know artists whose cancers were likely promoted or at least
hastened by solvents and pigments, dust or fibers (and some, I suspect
who sustained brain damage from lead white). If I can minimize my
exposure, and my students', I intend to.
I really appreciate your rational approach.
Judy