Re: questions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Diane Gregory (dianegregory)
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 07:18:13 -0600

Mcracker wrote:

> Hello!
> School is looming as our year begins on Monday. In my middle school classes,
> we usually begin the day with a "question of the day" and a vocab word to be
> answered and defined by the kids in their sketcbook journals. The question is
> usually (but not always) related to art and sometimes directly related to the
> project we're working on. Some examples would be:
> List as many different kinds of jobs that you can think of that artists might
> do.
> Where would you go to find art in LaCrosse?
> What is the most important character trait for an artist to have?
> Why have many people drawn or painted self portraits?
> What do we do in our culture to make ourselves more beautiful or attrctive?
>
> Anyway, you probably get the drift. Lots of times these questions deal with
> aesthetic concerns or with art criticism, in which case I might ask about a
> work in progress that is displayed on the board. Sometimes we discuss their
> answers, other times I respond in writing as I review their journals. My
> question to you -- can you think of other interesting questions to ask kids?
> I am sure that many minds would be far richer than just mine! Thanks in
> advance for your ideas. The recent sculpure ideas were terrific!
> Marcia Thompson
> Middle School Art Teacher
> West Salem, WI

Dear Marcia:

Your strategy for beginning the day sounds very exciting. What a marvelous way to
begin. My university is starting up August 28, 1996 and I think I would like to start
some of my classes in this manner as well. Thanks for the idea! I think I would like
for my students to ask the questions and put them in a hat and each day we would
pull a question out to answer it. Something along this order might be possible for
you as well. I plan to screen the questions to make sure all questions are related to
art and art education and that there are no duplicates. You might do this as well.
Also, sometimes the questions need to be clarified by the person asking the
question.

Anyway, here are a few of my questions.

Where do artists get their ideas?
When is it okay to copy?
What is the ugliest object in the world?
Do you have to be able to draw well to be a good artist?
How can you tell good art from bad art or is there really such a thing?
What work of art do I hate/love the most and why?

Hope this helps.

Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Art Education
Southwest Texas State Universitiy