Re: another sculpture idea

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 18:08:36 -0500

Bunki Kramer wrote:

>Hi........another successful idea. I have used plaster sculpture but
>instead of >using just pure plaster of paris, I mix it like this...1/3
>plaster of paris, >1/3 water and 1/3 vermiculite (small grain kind you can
>find in any large >flower nursery). It makes the plaster go a loooong way
>and sculptures much >lighter plus gives it a texture.

Adding vermiculite, or expanded mica, is a great idea for increasing
texture and extending the plaster of paris, but if you mix your plaster
really wet, make sure you add the type of vermiculite that doesn't float.
One time I had all the vermiculite float to the top and when it set the
material was very crumbly, inconsistant and hard to work. I know now. I
also know now that I should test out everything before presenting it to the
class!

Also, to reduce air bubbles that sometimes form in the material, tap
lightly on the outside of the mold with a brush handle or a spoon when the
plaster is wet.

All these great lesson plan ideas which have been posted here recently have
been really wonderful for me! I'm saving many of them away for later. I'm
a newly certified art teacher this year. All I need now is a job!

)))))))))} {{{
))){{{{{{{{)){{{{{}{{{{{
))})}} } {{}}} }({{{
)))}}} }(({{