Re: female artists

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
rvoyles
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:55:10 -0500 (EST)

not have a course outline, but can pass on some very good texts dealing
with the history of Women in Art. I have always wanted to do a workshop
or seminar focusing on the work of women artists in our collections.
Maybe I'll write up a proposal, who knows! Some good general surveys you
may want to refer to:

Fine, E.H. (1978). Women and Art: A History of Women Painters and
Sculpture from the Renaissance to the 20th Century. Montclair, New
Jersey: Allanheld, Osmun and Co.

Rubinstein, C.S. (1982). American Women Artists: From Early Indian Times
to the Present, Boston, Ma.:G.R. Hall and Co.

Slatkin, W. (1990). Women Artists in History: From Antiquity to the 20th
Century. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall, Inc.

Check also "Anonymous was a Woman," I don't recall the author's name at
the moment.

Ruth Voyles
Museum Educator
The Toledo Museum of Art