(Fwd) Re: Back to School

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
MARK JOYCE (joycem)
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 17:09:22 +0000

Forwarded message:
From: Self <STU/JOYCEM>
To: Debbie Zafereo <sfdz>
Subject: Re: Back to School
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:49:46

Debbie --

Depending on your district philosophy, an analogy I've found useful in the past is the notion that at the
middle school level everyone has the opportunity to participate
(developmentally) in choir and band. Those who *choose* may elect to
participate at a more competitive level by entering solo/ensemble
competitions.

What is the parallel set of choices/experiences in art?

Depending on your district philosophy, the same may be true in
atheletics. Intramural vs interschollastic activity; or intramural vs
community teams.

At the middle school level, CELEBRATING talent is far more valid than
passing judgement on it! Can you ask your administrator what s.he
feel a juried competition will do to affirm the selfworth of each
individual?

Best wishes!
Mark Joyce joycem Concordia College Ann Arbor, MI