Re: grading checklist

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alix Peshette (Apeshet)
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 07:45:58 +0000

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 18:37:46 -0500 (CDT)
From: Terilynn Sanford <terily>
To: owner-artsednet-digest
Cc: artsednet-digest.edu
Subject: grading checklist

I am looking for some kind of checklist for projects that I could
use to assess students in progress and also as a final grade. I
think it would include things like effort, use of materials,
etc. I teach elementary, so nothing too complex, but I would
appreciate any input or any lists you already use.

Hi Terilynn,

Here's my two cents worth on grading rubrics. I do a half-sheet
paper that has the student grade the first part and I then grade the
second part. It looks something like this:

Name __________________________Period_____
Low Relief Sculpture Assessment Sheet

(Student writes here and scores self)
What worked well in this project?

What would you change if you did this project again?

SUCCESS OF THIS PROJECT
Rate the success of your project 2 4 6 8 10
(Teacher scores from here down)
Did the student thoughtfully assess the project?
10 12 14 16 18 20

DESIGN:
Does the object have an interesting shape?
Is the design detailed and imaginative?
10 12 14 16 18 20

REQUIREMENTS FULFILLED:
Does the object have a shaped edge?
Does the cardboard sculpture have 2-3 layers?
10 12 14 16 18 20

CRAFTSMANSHIP:
Are the edges of the foil neatly turned and glued?
Is the surface of the foil smoothed down?
Is the foil tight around the details of the design?
Is the paint applied well? (Not too dark)
Does the object have the appearance of metal?
Is there a hanger glued to the back?
20 22 24 26 28 30

TOTAL SCORE ________

Some benefits of this system are:
Students know in advance what the requirements and standards will be
while the work is in progress. I tell the students that in doing the
first part of this assessment, the word' nothing' will garner NO
CREDIT whatsoever. In the section about what changes one would make,
I explain that art is always a series of choices, some of which we
take and others we don't. I want them to tell me about the choices
not taken. I also tell them that honesty counts!!! The assessment sheets are
always turned in with the work and then go into the student's portfolio and stay
there, whether or not the work goes home. This way, if I lose the
grade via computer grading, the student can always show me the
assessment sheet again. Obviously, each project has its own set of
questions on the assessment sheet. This system has ended the junior high whine
of "why did I get that grade?" It also makes a wonderful tool to
show parents when we do the end-of-the-quarter portfolio assessments.

I hope to someday move to a totally student-graded, peer graded
format, but so far haven't found the time or energy to pull it off in
junior high.

-Alix E. Peshette
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA