Re: grading checklist

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
KPRS (kprs)
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:12:47 -0700

Terilynn Sanford wrote:

> I am looking for some kind of checklist for projects that I could
> use to assess students in progress and also as a final grade. I
> think it would include things like effort, use of materials,
> etc. I teach elementary, so nothing too complex, but I would
> appreciate any input or any lists you already use.
>
> Also, thanks to everyone who gave me lesson plans for K-1! It
> was very helpful. I think I am going to start with a cave art
> unit and tie in lines and shapes (an intro for K and a review for
> 1st) along with slides of real cave paintings. I am really
> motivated!
> teriI teach 9-12, so what I might suggest may be out of the loop for you, but I
think these things are vital in an artist's growth in learning about how to
make art. Now, granted, elementary kids may not consider that they "are"
artists, but I like to treat my students as artists the moment they enter the
art room.

1. creative problem solving (use of materials, time, quest for self
gratification and knowledge in the process of making art)
2. risk taking (how can I push the boundaries, within the given set of
guidelines.)
3. learning from failure (what did I learn from this "mistake")
4. ability to communicate an idea, concept, or vision through the materials.
5. ability to verbalize their decisions, and defend their work (not explain
the work......let the work speak)
6. ability to filter criticism (listen to input, take what works and
individualize it)

For me, grades are something we and they are conditioned to look for. I want
students to go beyond grades, past product and project. It's a hard concept,
I know, for highschoolers and adults, so for elementary students this is
probably a stretch, but in my "perfect" world this is where thirst for
knowledge for knowledge sake would start. Somehow I don't think the Giotto's,
Rembrant's, Durer's, DaVinci's, Cezanne's, Picasso's, Magritte's , Warhol's
of the world (not to mentioned all the "anonymous'") EVER worried about
grades. They were driven for other reasons, I would like to think it was the
quest that motivated them. (along with food, sex, and politics)

San D