Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 30, 2011

---------

dlang_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Aug 31 2011 - 08:04:57 PDT

It sounds like you have a fair amount of freedom in terms of what you
do, so that opens a lot of possibilities. What level will you be
teaching and who will you be teaching? Is this an international
school or locals?

I think using the outer space theme to talk about the space element of
art is a great idea.

Environmental art a la Andy Goldsworthy is obvious perhaps, but I find
kids respond well to it.

Consumerism/Media - This would be a great opportunity to deal with
advertising and critical thinking. Looking at ads and discussing the
unwritten typically negative messages, then creating their own ads
with more positive messages? You could fold this into environmental
and challenge them to come up with eco-friendly packing design.

Science/Tech/Health - This might be a way to talk about the
engineering process (ID problem, generate ideas, build, evaluate) and
apply it to an independent work of art. You could have students make
simple animations (flipbooks?) that show a scientific process (e.g.
photosynthesis, chemical reaction). Scientific drawings/diagrams are
also a good cross-curricular project.

For the empty Bowl project you could make paper-mache bowls?

Those are my thoughts.

Quoting TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest