[teacherartexchange] Integrating school themes with art

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 30 2011 - 22:03:18 PDT

Hi, everyone,

My new position in Muscat, Oman starts in just ten days. The school
works around various themes throughout the year and I'm a little stumped
at how to integrate some of them with art without resorting to cheesy
poster design units. It appears we are not obligated to incorporate
all of them (whew!). Was wondering if any of you have some ideas.

The first theme is Space: 50 Years of Human Space Flight. I don't want
to do a literal interpretation of planets/astronauts/etc but was
thinking around the element of space.

Next is National Identity. Not sure I want to touch this one, being so
new here.

Then there's Caring for the Environment. Recycled art seems obvious;
any ideas that aren't so obvious?

Next is Leadership. Here I was thinking of something along the lines of
Ken Schwab's weave drawings. The students would learn gridding
techniques to draw a portrait of a leader, then do another drawing of
that person's life/accomplishments/iconic symbols, and then they would
cut both into strips to weave together. Any suggestions here?

Consumerism/Media. No ideas.

Science/Technology. Think I'll skip this one.

Health. No ideas.

Feed the World. The Empty Bowls Project came to mind immediately, but
there's no kiln available.

If you have any top-of-the-head ideas for any of these, I would greatly
appreciate them!

Maggie