Re: [teacherartexchange] high school visual arts curriculum question

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2011 - 03:30:42 PDT

I'm at an even smaller school--150 students--and Beth I'm envious of
your 8th grade art class! We used to be able to have a dedicated
class for 8th graders (which was great) but now they're in the regular
Art 1 class. This year I'm trying to re-do the curriculum to make it
somewhat more "age appropriate" even though I also have older students
in Art 1.

In addition to mixed grades, I also have mixed *levels* in each
period. I've been doing this long enough--and classes are small
enough--for this to work, but it's really not an ideal situation.

I teach Art 1, Art 2, Advanced Art (3-4), Honors Art (usually seniors
who are serious about building portfolios) and a Graphic
Design/Yearbook class.

Our classes started Wednesday. First day was mainly intro stuff
(overview of the courses, behavior expectations, creating name tags
for their storage areas), yesterday was intro to the first projects
and today kids will really be getting to work.

At each level students focus on drawing, painting, sculpture and
either some crafts or printmaking. We have a separate photography
program for kids in grades 9-12.
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net