Re: [teacherartexchange] high school visual arts curriculum question

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2011 - 17:01:36 PDT

I to am in a rural school we have roughly about 900 students in our school district.  I teach high school and middles  school art and the other art teacher teaches the elementary art.  For my high school classes I created a Studio Art class ( traditional drawing, painting, ceramics, mix medium, traditional crafts), Art Tech (graphic design, computer design, computer animation, video animation/movie making), Art History (covering a variety of art eras, styles and cultures), Independent Art (only if they have had Art History and either Studio or Tech Art.  I only teach three high school classes at the high school and two at the middle school level.  In Minnesota it is required that a student earn 1credit in an arts area in order to graduate.  All of my classes are a semester long earning a student only a half credit per class.  A student is required to take Art History and then either Studio Art or Tech Art.  Students have four years to meet this
 requirement.

Jeff