[teacherartexchange] high school visual arts curriculum question

---------

From: Margaret Angstadt (mangstadt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2011 - 07:17:20 PDT

I have question regarding our art department's future direction...

We are a 7-12 rural school. We have 1.66 art teachers (I'm the .66).

The high school has about 500 students. Our art courses are offered as
drawing, painting, international crafts, pottery, sculpture, digital
photography, etc.  We offer no 'Art I' or "Art II' courses, which I'm
really wanting to offer as intro to visual arts.

My question is this: How do you have your high school curriculum
organized (courses, prerequisites, etc) Is a course like "Art I" a
prerequisite?

I've looked online at other high school offerings. But this doesn't
tell me how it all plays out in real life...I'm interested in the
scope and sequence 'pros and cons' of general art courses and of
specific application courses (i.e. pottery).  How many 'general'
courses (and what is their content) and how many (what type) of
content specific courses you offer.

We also have scheduling problems -- (who doesn't??!). Science
conflicts with electives because it takes 2 periods a week.  I have
students wanting to be in my courses on the days they do not have a
science lab... Creative scheduling -- do you have anything that works
in your schools?

Answers on-list or off-list are welcome and even just a web link that
might offer ideas would be helpful.  Thanks is advance for your