Re:[teacherartexchange] "What is Art" Unit

---------

From: sarah k (sarah.kerns3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2011 - 04:43:01 PDT

The first chapter in Art: A Global Pursuit, from Davis Publications,
is called "The Whys and Hows of Art." The introduction asks the middle
school students, what is art? The chapter then talks about the
functions of art (practical, cultural, personal), what a subject and
theme is, and some styles in art, like expressionism, realism,
abstraction and fantasy. The teacher's edition offers ideas for other
resources to incorporate including class discussions and studio
experiences.
I have used parts of this chapter before to begin the school year. The
book is geared towards classes that meet everyday, so sometimes the
pacing is difficult, as my classes have met twice a week, and now once
a week in my new school. I will pull bits and pieces together to make
a lesson that more suits our time.
One that I have done in the past is the ever popular shoe drawing,
incorporating one of the styles reviewed in the chapter. Having
everyone take off a shoe during the first week is a great way to break
the ice! It is also a great lesson to ease into the year, understand
the process of how the classroom runs, how lessons will be taught,
expectations of how objective should be met, all while having fun and
being creative.
Oh yes, I also like Art: A Global Pursuit because at the end of each
chapter there is a "connect to..." section that makes connections with
the chapter to other subjects, daily life and careers. And, a review
sections asking the student to recall, understand, apply, analyze,
synthesize and evaluate (although I typically use this section for
small exercises we can do in class) Hope that is at least a place to
start! Good luck,

Sarah