[teacherartexchange] Doodle lesson

---------

From: Katherine Purdy (kjp1627_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2011 - 10:14:09 PDT

Hello everyone-

I teach middle school and usually begin the year with a doodle project
to ease my students fears about drawing....
This year, instead of creating doodles in their sketchbooks, I'd like
to get them doodling on some "thing"-like a 3-D
object, but it has to be something we can make, costs little money or
is from the recycle bin. Also it needs to be a surface
we can actually draw on and SEE our doodles. I know-tough criteria!

As you know when you TRULY doodle it is often on a piece of napkin,
or a throwaway scrap of paper- because doodling is not precious!
So my back up idea is to use napkins....but I am not sold on it yet!

So I thought I'd ask the group fpr suggestions. I also thought of
teaching kids FIRST to make a 3-D origami cube,
because I do origami early in the year as well, but that's more
difficult for some kids, and really requires me to teach origami
first instead of doodling-and I like to start EASY for everyone! If
the following tidbit helps spur your imaginations.... I got this
3-D doodling idea from a Kleenex box with amazing looking ballpoint
doodle designs on it!

Thanks,
Kathy