Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] New Job Jitters

From: sarah k (sarah.kerns3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2011 - 09:47:57 PDT

After working at a small, private, Catholic, elementary and middle
school for three years, I am starting in September at one of the five
public middle schools in my city! I am super excited as I have been
trying to get my foot in the door for years, and am really thankful
for this opportunity to keep growing as a teacher.

I will be transitioning from about 250 kids, grades 2-8, to upwards of
600 middle school aged kids. I'm nervous to say the least. I know I
have been hired because I (appear to) know what I am doing, but with
no curriculum in place to follow, just the MA state frameworks as
guidelines (which I've basically taught to in the past) I have to
start from scratch again and I'm a little overwhelmed. Aside from an
introductory name design or mandala, I need to start organizing some
units and/or lessons and nail down what supplies I have to work with.

Does anyone have any advice for organizing a middle school curriculum?
What materials (and brands) are a must have for a successful program?
More over, does anyone have any advice for a first year, part time,
middle school art teacher (whose going back to school part time

You can find some of my lessons, and some other experiences, on my

Thank you, as always, for your guidance and advice! Feel free to email
me off the list as well.

Sarah Kerns
Broad Meadows Middle School
Quincy, MA