Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 04, 2011- new post

---------

From: Heidi McElroy (hmcelroy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2011 - 09:14:18 PDT

Is anyone out there heading back to school this week ? Would be interested
in how you start the year....some new icebreakers to get students excited
about the new year in art (high school level).
To start I will share what I did last year in Art 2....nautical name flags.
Looking at nautical flags used as signals, students made their name as small
flags (using colored chips from paint samples- colors were not true to
nautical flags). We hung these as mobiles in the front foyer of the school.
This was inspired by something I saw in the SAM (Seattle Arts Museum) gift
shop.
I like to start each class with an intriguing project which is successful
for everyone and is fun. Look forward to your ideas. Heidi in VA