FW: [teacherartexchange] photo curriculum

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 31 2010 - 11:44:37 PDT

Hi All
If you read this list with regularity, you know I just retired. I helped write our digital photo 1 curriculum two years ago. I do NOT have a copy to share. I don't have access to the school files anymore.
We had a specific format to follow. What the photo teacher and I did was make a list of all that was essential that kids should know when they left our class. That is called backwards design. Then we took that list and made our curriculum from that. Here is a list of what we thought our students should know in digital photo 1. Keep in mind we have a photo II course that is all about Adobe Photoshop, and we DON'T introduce that aspect until the very end of our classes in Photo 1. We felt that our students should explore how to use their camera, composition, and the elements and principles of design PRIOR to learning manipulation on Adobe Photoshop. The ONLY thing we teach them in photo 1 about using the computer is how to store and retrieve images. Photo II expands on this list by going more indepth, having students do a body of work that shows their art sensibilities and style, and introduces students to the use of photography in graphic design.

1. Know your camera. We had the kids learn how to go online, find their manual for their specific camera, and learn what their specific camera was able to do, from turning off the flash to time release.

2. 8 different compositional styles (path, pointer, checkerboard, assymetrical, symmetrical, facing, listing, and rule of thirds).

3. Point of view- we stressed not just shooting straight on, but from an ant's eye view, from bird's eye view, etc.

4. Elements and principles of design. We took each element, line, shape, value, etc, and turned it into an assignment, same with the principles.

5. Big Ideas and theme development-

6. Use of light

7. The human figure

8. Still life