Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 28, 2010

---------

From: tara franzese (artmuse67_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2010 - 08:21:40 PDT

1. Art on a cart

Jeane,
I taught art on a cart last year for grades k-5. I used the large
staples boxes that the printer paper comes in to store students
artwork in each classroom instead of having to worry about carrying
their artwork with me. You can get the boxes for free at staples,
they go through tons of them there. I had an enclosed top to my cart
with a door where I would keep containers of markers, colored pencils,
divided into 5 containers (one for each group). I had also posted
class helpers in their classrooms so when I got there I just told the
helpers to come up to the cart and get the supplies they needed for
that table. Any large objects like paint, water containers (with
lids) brushes, etc. I put on the bottom of the cart. Just make sure
you have everything organized by group before you go in, it'll make
things easier. As far as 80 minutes go, that's a long time, but make
sure you lesson includes an introduction and/or review with some Q &
A's or at least a hook to get the kids into it, a demonstration of
what their doing, and some type of closure at the end to review what
was learned for the day. Between all those facets, setup. cleanup, and
work time 80 minutes will fly by. If they have a hard time staying
focused make sure you have a clear list of things they need to have
accomplished for the period, so you don;t get students saying their
done when they're really not. 6th grade is a great grade, they have
so much potential, really challenge them, and you'll be amazed at what
they can accomplish.

Best of luck and enjoy it, teaching from a cart really isn't that bad,
once you get started you'll find your groove.
-Tara