Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 14, 2010

---------

From: Daniel Murren (djmurren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2010 - 09:57:48 PDT


I had the students make paper mache puppets at the end of the school year.
Their summer project is to write the script. We will see how many students
remember their puppet and script. The ILA teacher will be helping them to
edit the scripts. The technology teacher will help with filming the puppet
shows. It would be fun to have them paint backgrounds for their puppets. We
will see if time allows. I found that on our network it was hard to find
the files to edit in Movie Maker. Any suggestions to make it go easier?

Also, what are artists trading cards?
Sue

-----Original Message-----
From: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest
[mailto:teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu]
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:01 AM
To: teacherartexchange digest recipients
Subject: teacherartexchange digest: August 14, 2010

TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Saturday, August 14, 2010.

1. Re: Class load and prep periods
2. Question about Artist Trading Cards in middle school
3. Re: Question about Artist Trading Cards in middle school
4. Re: Class load and prep periods
5. RE: teacherartexchange digest: August 13, 2010
6. Re: Class load and prep periods
7. Re: teacherartexchange digest: August 13, 2010
8. Re: teacherartexchange digest: August 13, 2010

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Class load and prep periods
From: Gayle Parent <gayleparent@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:05:59 -0700
X-Message-Number: 1

Yes, I have numbers as high as thirty, plus 4-5 kids from the ED
program who may be autistic or otherwise emotionally disturbed. They
come with an aide. I just learned that we have added a kindergarten
teacher, and that means that I will now have one and one third
classes of kindergarteners at one time. That is not good news. I
love them, but 30 kinders at a time is not a great idea.
g

On Aug 12, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Lin Altman wrote:

> Right now, I have 6 elementary classes a day. 4 of the 6 classes
> are a class and a third, meaning I have as many as 30 students in a
> class. Does anyone else have these high numbers?
>
> Lin
>
>
> On Aug 12, 2010, at 8:46 AM, Karen Mitchell wrote:
>
>> In Texas, the state requires that each teacher have a minimum of
>> 45 minutes of duty-free prep time every day (or 225 minutes a
>> week, divided differently). On my high school campus, we have
>> negotiated to have 2 prep periods every day, but we may be
>> assigned a duty during one of the prep periods. This usually
>> happens a few months before our state-mandated testing, when
>> students are pulled out of electives and specials to receive extra
>> tutoring from math/science/english teachers.
>>
>> As far as I know, there are no regulations regarding the number of
>> different preps one teacher can have. In my department, one
>> teacher has 8 different preps and another has 5. I have 2.
>>
>> -Karen Mitchell
>> Pasadena High School
>> Pasadena, TX
>> ---
>> To unsubscribe go to
>> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
>>
>
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to
> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Question about Artist Trading Cards in middle school
From: Theresa Pacheco <terrylou63@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:35:00 -0700 (PDT)
X-Message-Number: 2

I'm thinking of using Artist Trading Cards as an on-going assignment for my
students to do when they finish an assignment early. I teach grades 5-7. Any

suggestions on how to keep ATC materials organized?

   Normally, in this age group, when we have a painting activity I have more

control over how much paint to use, how it gets cleaned up, etc. But if the

rest of the class is doing another activity but "Johnny" has finished and
wants
to work on ATC's, how do I monitor all activities at the same time without
driving myself crazy?
Theresa Pacheco
Galveston, TX

      

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Question about Artist Trading Cards in middle school
From: Bunki Kramer <bkramer@srvusd.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:48:54 -0700
X-Message-Number: 3

Why don't you spend a couple of days making "painted papers" and that
will provide a stash that kids can go to for their ATC backgrounds and
you don't have to pull out paint. Provide col. pencils, glue, stamps,
whatever in one part of the room and they can go to town on their own.

**********************
On Aug 14, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Theresa Pacheco wrote:

>
>
>
> I'm thinking of using Artist Trading Cards as an on-going assignment
> for my
> students to do when they finish an assignment early. I teach grades
> 5-7. Any
> suggestions on how to keep ATC materials organized?
>
> Normally, in this age group, when we have a painting activity I
> have more
> control over how much paint to use, how it gets cleaned up, etc.
> But if the
> rest of the class is doing another activity but "Johnny" has
> finished and wants
> to work on ATC's, how do I monitor all activities at the same time
> without
> driving myself crazy?
> Theresa Pacheco
> Galveston, TX
>
>
>
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to
> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Class load and prep periods
From: Lin Altman <linalt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 13:50:09 -0500
X-Message-Number: 4

Wouldn't it nice if they paid us for those extra kids!!

On Aug 14, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Gayle Parent wrote:

> Yes, I have numbers as high as thirty, plus 4-5 kids from the ED program
who may be autistic or otherwise emotionally disturbed. They come with an
aide. I just learned that we have added a kindergarten teacher, and that
means that I will now have one and one third classes of kindergarteners at
one time. That is not good news. I love them, but 30 kinders at a time is
not a great idea.
> g
>
>
> On Aug 12, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Lin Altman wrote:
>
>> Right now, I have 6 elementary classes a day. 4 of the 6 classes are a
class and a third, meaning I have as many as 30 students in a class. Does
anyone else have these high numbers?
>>
>> Lin
>>
>>
>> On Aug 12, 2010, at 8:46 AM, Karen Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> In Texas, the state requires that each teacher have a minimum of 45
minutes of duty-free prep time every day (or 225 minutes a week, divided
differently). On my high school campus, we have negotiated to have 2 prep
periods every day, but we may be assigned a duty during one of the prep
periods. This usually happens a few months before our state-mandated
testing, when students are pulled out of electives and specials to receive
extra tutoring from math/science/english teachers.
>>>
>>> As far as I know, there are no regulations regarding the number of
different preps one teacher can have. In my department, one teacher has 8
different preps and another has 5. I have 2.
>>>
>>> -Karen Mitchell
>>> Pasadena High School
>>> Pasadena, TX
>>> ---
>>> To unsubscribe go to
>>> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
>>>
>>
>>
>> ---
>> To unsubscribe go to
>> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
>>
>
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go
tohttp://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: teacherartexchange digest: August 13, 2010
From: "Daniel Murren" <djmurren@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:45:39 -0400
X-Message-Number: 5

2. Janet Fish, Chuck Close, and Movie Editing
Can you tell that school will be starting soon? I am looking for lesson
plans for Middle School students on Chuck Close and Janet Fish. Does anyone
have any ideas? Also, I will be having students in Grade 7 take videos of
children's stories they created using their paper mache puppets. I use
Microsoft Movie Maker to edit them. It seems hard to use. Does anyone have
a simple movie editor they find that is easy for students to use?
Thank you,
Sue Murren

-----Original Message-----
From: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest
[mailto:teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu]
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:00 AM
To: teacherartexchange digest recipients
Subject: teacherartexchange digest: August 13, 2010

TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Friday, August 13, 2010.

1. RE: teacherartexchange digest: August 13, 2010

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: teacherartexchange digest: August 13, 2010
From: "Daniel Murren" <djmurren@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:31:30 -0400
X-Message-Number: 1

1. Ideas for the coming school year

I was out in Santa Fe and went down Canyon Rd. to the FiacobbeFritz art
gallery. While I was there I saw artwork done by a Ben Steele. I love his
work, very creative! Go to this site: www.giacobbefritz.com and click on
Ben Steele. I teach 1-8 and am trying to come up with ideas for grades 6-7
using his work. Any ideas?
Thank you,
Sue Muren

END OF DIGEST

---
---
END OF DIGEST
---
leave-705951-349383.062f67e83ae4d20ec139d8fa97f7d3fb@lists.pub.getty.edu
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Class load and prep periods
From: Rebecca Burch <mamallama@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:04:00 -0400
X-Message-Number: 6
Just the though of 30 kindergarteners makes my eye twitch.  Jussayin'...
Rebecca
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Gayle Parent <gayleparent@gmail.com>
wrote:
>
> Yes, I have numbers as high as thirty, plus 4-5 kids from the ED program
who may be autistic or otherwise emotionally disturbed.  They come with an
aide.  I just learned that we have added a kindergarten teacher, and that
means that I will now have one and one third classes of kindergarteners at
one time.  That is not good news.  I love them, but 30 kinders at  a time is
not a great idea.
> g
>
>
> On Aug 12, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Lin Altman wrote:
>
>> Right now, I have 6 elementary classes a day. 4 of the 6 classes are a
class and a third, meaning I have as many as 30 students in a class. Does
anyone else have these high numbers?
>>
>> Lin
>>
>>
>> On Aug 12, 2010, at 8:46 AM, Karen Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> In Texas, the state requires that each teacher have a minimum of 45
minutes of duty-free prep time every day (or 225 minutes a week, divided
differently). On my high school campus, we have negotiated to have 2 prep
periods every day, but we may be assigned a duty during one of the prep
periods. This usually happens a few months before our state-mandated
testing, when students are pulled out of electives and specials to receive
extra tutoring from math/science/english teachers.
>>>
>>> As far as I know, there are no regulations regarding the number of
different preps one teacher can have. In my department, one teacher has 8
different preps and another has 5. I have 2.
>>>
>>> -Karen Mitchell
>>> Pasadena High School
>>> Pasadena, TX
>>> ---
>>> To unsubscribe go to
>>> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
>>>
>>
>>
>> ---
>> To unsubscribe go to
>> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
>>
>
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go
tohttp://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
--
Rebecca Burch,
Charleston Catholic High School
__________________________________
Website:  http://www.rebeccaburch.com
Network:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/rebeccaburch
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: teacherartexchange digest: August 13, 2010
From: Michal Austin <whest177@wheatstate.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:16:00 -0500
X-Message-Number: 7
It doesn't get any easier than Windows Movie Maker. Start at the top &  
work your way down the menu. Students will figure it out right away.  
Are you having them create backgrounds for their puppets? By the time  
they make the puppets & background, write the story, film & edit it,  
you are probably looking at a semester project.
~Michal
> 2. Janet Fish, Chuck Close, and Movie Editing
> Can you tell that school will be starting soon?  I am looking for  
> lesson
> plans for Middle School students on Chuck Close and Janet Fish.   
> Does anyone
> have any ideas?  Also, I will be having students in Grade 7 take  
> videos of
> children's stories they created using their paper mache puppets. I use
> Microsoft Movie Maker to edit them. It seems hard to use.  Does  
> anyone have
> a simple movie editor they find that is easy for students to use?
> Thank you,
> Sue Murren
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: teacherartexchange digest: August 13, 2010
From: Betty <bettycarol_40@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:01:55 -0700 (PDT)
X-Message-Number: 8
I agree with Michal, your kids will pick up movie maker really fast. Mine
are tempted to want to tell the whole story in the opening credits a la Star
Wars, so be aware! 
---
END OF DIGEST
---
leave-706062-349383.062f67e83ae4d20ec139d8fa97f7d3fb@lists.pub.getty.edu
---
To unsubscribe go to 
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html